Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bed Rest!?!?!

OK so last night I was up all night having major contractions. Ryan got up with me and was so supportive. I thought for sure we were going to the hospital to finally have this kid. I packed my suitcase and then the contractions got further apart. Ryan stacked a ton of pillows on my side of the bed and was doing all he could to help me get comfortable. I finally fell asleep around 3:00. I got up today and felt so sick. I dragged myself into work to get caught up thinking I wouldn't be there for awhile. I stuck it out until 1:00. I went to my dad's got the kids and came home. Those wretched contractions were coming on again with a vengeance. I called my doctor and they said for me to come right in. We packed up the Nissan and headed across town. I was in so much pain and was so ready for this to all be over. I was just at the doctor yesterday for my regular appointment.I am 36 weeks and one day. I told them that I had been having labor pains off and off for the last few days and felt like it was getting really close. They did a ultrasound and his head is completely down and he's ready. He weighs 6 lbs 9 oz. Marli weighed 6 lbs 10 oz when she was born and she was born at 36 1/2 weeks. The doctor told me yesterday to try really hard to not have him until next Tuesday when I'll be 37 weeks and considered full term. With RSV season approching they really want him to have a healthy immune system when he's born. So when I got there today they were not about to let me have him. I was burning up and felt so sick. The doctor said I have a stomach virus that is making me go into labor. I had a fever and many other symptoms I'll refrain from sharing. I received two bags of I.v.'s to help me because I was so dehydrated. When the fluids didn't help as much as they thought they should they gave me two shots in the arm of medication to stop the contractions. I was so bummed at first. When I was crying about how miserable I was and wanted to just have this over the doctors explained to me how important the next 6 days are for the baby. His lungs and immune system are developing right now and the longer we can hold off on him being born the better for him. OK I'll buck up for this little guy. My poor husband and children were in the waiting area while I was getting treated. We arrived at the doctor's office at 3:30 and it was after 7:00 when we finally left. Jake came back once to find me. When he saw the I.v.'s in my arms he got upset. Marli came back and they were staring at me and were so sad. I hugged them and told them I was OK. Poor kids. While I was waiting for them to let me leave the doctors lectured me on bed rest and how I am not to do anything for the next 6 days. I sat there thinking these guys are crazy. They don't know that will never happen at my house. I promised to sip plenty of liquids and take it easy so they would let me go home. I told them if they seriously want me to not do anything they would need to give me some super hootey drugs and knock me out for the next few days. Wish me luck. I will try my best to be a good patient. My next appointment is Tuesday and then our little guy can come. Man this pregnancy has been a trial from day one and will remain a trial until the last day. I am thankful that I feel better and I look forward to meeting our sweet boy.


Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe he is ready to come already!! So are you taking the rest of the week off work? You really should and make yourself stay home and rest. I can't wait to meet this little guy in the next week!! :) Hang in there Lori, I know you must be feeling miserable! You can do it!! I love you!

Rod, Kim, and Kids said...

It was so good talking to you after I read this post. You know I'm praying for you and your family! Please, please, call if you need ANYTHING! I have been there, and know how hard it is to just sit! Although, at the time, I didn't have other kids! I'd love to take your kids, and will bring you dinner! I love you! Hang in there!

Reuel said...

Lori, thanks for telling us about your experience... Yikes! I didn't know until tonight that you were in the hospital. We'll be dropping over to see what we can do. Dinner Friday will be on the family!

I had tears running down my cheeks when I read what happened, and I can't even begin to feel your pain!

Thanks GrandPa Bill for watching after Lori Bob, and helping with the troops. You are the BEST!!!
And, if you don't believe me, just ask Jakey T.

Jim and Carrie said...

Oh Lor, I wish I was there to help you ... I'm so sorry you're feeling so yucky ... you are sucha trooper. Hang in there sweets ... you 'can do it!' ... and LOTS of prayers are being sent up in your behalf ... I sure love you. It'll all be worth it once your sweet little helper arrives!

Erin said...

Well crap-I didn't even know you have this going on and it's too late to call tonight. What can I do? Bless your heart. I'll call tomorrow...Make Jake and Marli bring you water and cookies. Everyone needs cookies. I love you.