Thursday, January 10, 2008

2008 Aint Starting Out So Great

My New Year has started out with a Big Bang. Not a good one however. My driver car door has issues. The mechanism that allows the door to shut isn't working. I have come out of work after a long day to find my door frozen shut. I can get in after climbing in thru the passenger side. Once the door is open it will not shut. Ron Sayer has ordered the part and is fixing it tomorrow. My windshield cracked from one corner all the way across to the other. My battery died . Ryan hooked up the battery charger and had it charging all night. The battery wouldn't hold a charge so my dad went and bought me a new battery put it in and all was well. Not exactly. I didn't drive my car after the new battery was in. I went to drive Marli to dance and my car was dead. Again? You've got to be kidding me. Once again my dad comes to my rescue. Him and my mom came out to my house. He hooked up the charger and after about 20 minutes I was good to go. By this time it was too late to get Marli to dance. She was so sweet and gave me a hug and told me it was OK. So now for the best part. When I originally found out my car battery died I was trying to run to good O'le Walmart alone to buy a few things and get a much needed break. I know it probably sounds dumb that I would find shopping at Walmart at night a break. I had been home for a few days with three little ones and hadn't left the house so sadly at the time this sounded like a good idea. After I couldn't get my car to start I hopped in Ryan's truck and attempted to back out of the garage like I've done a million times. Well the passenger mirror barely tapped the side of the garage/house. With it being so cold the chintzy (is that a word?) plastic casing cracked and a piece fell off. I got out of the truck walked behind the truck over to the side where the mirror was thinking I could push it in and continue to back up. Well as I proceeded to walk around the truck I fell in the driveway. Our driveway has been sheer ice. As I tried to get up I went down again on my left shoulder. As you can imagine my adrenaline was really pumping at this point. I got back in the truck pulled forward and then backed up successfully. I cried all the way to Walmart. I called my neighbor Linda and she was so supportive. She told me to tell Ryan that some idiot in Walmart's parking lot hit his mirror. As I was shopping I was terrified to go home and face Ryan. He takes such good care of his truck and it has low miles and his goal is to pay it off and keep it forever. Jacob had asked for Chinese for dinner so I stopped at The Hong Kong and picked up a to go order. I pulled in the driveway and only pulled the truck in part of the way so Ryan could see the Van Damage. I went in the house and told him what I did I was honest and told the truth. He stared at me for a minute and said so what your telling me is you wrecked my truck? I asked him to come look at it and he didn't want to. He finally did. I was bawling. I feel so bad. He gave me a hug and said accidents happen. Yeah surprised me too. So this little accident cost $780. For a mirror are you kidding me? They can't replace the plastic they have to replace the whole mirror. I think it's GMC's way of making money. I have had two patients with 2005 GMC trucks tell me that something similar happened to them. LAME! So after I get my car fixed Ryan's truck will get a new mirror and hopefully we can be done with car dilemma's for the entire year. I'm trying to be positive and think OK I've had my part of bad luck enough to last me until 2009. I certainly hope so.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

oh man! What a rough few days!! So sorry your year got off to a rough start! I hope its all bliss from here!! :) Love you!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness ... I'm just glad that you didn't get in a real 'wreck' ... and I'm glad that Ry hugged it out ... It's just 'stuff' when it comes right down to it ... YOU are more important than the mirror sweet girl. It will all be okay ... hang in there!

kim said...

Wow! What a day! You should have told Ryan that you'd smash the other side, so at least they'd match! Hee! Hee!

Erin Johnson said...

Stay away from my car, will ya?

Reuel said...

You gals are ready for the View I tell ya.

Lori, you are a talented writer. Once I start reading your stories, I can't just exit early, I have to go clear to the end. I bust out laughing in a bunch of places, and just want to apologize for my behavior since I get the biggest kick out of your low points (well, not really- I wish those didn't even happen)!!! You go girl!